Posted to rec.woodworking
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default How to make a standard thread hole in wood

On Dec 24, 12:24*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. *Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? *I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. *There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. *Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. *Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

As mentioned by the other post a 1/2" pipe thread might work
but..............

broom handle threads are ACME style threads, the most common being
3/4"

of course being broom handles & not going on the space shuttle the
care & tolerances in mfg are pretty sloppy so fit up between devices
is pretty "hit or miss"

here's a link to a handle company

http://www.whitleyhandle.com/whitley..._products.html

and a discussion on an engineering forum
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=153052

cheers
Bob