Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I rarely use hammers & nails as I typically prefer to use screws over nails.

Screws have their good points- but remember that their shear strength
is the weak spot.

However once in a while I need to use nails.

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail wood
gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle is awkward.
I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and messing up the nails as
I hammer them in. I don't think this is productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being bent?

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I cannot
use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

I haven't used one- but I have been thinking about picking one up for
a tight spot like you've got there-
Air palm hammer- $30

I bought one of those when it was on sale, and so far it works great. I still
bent a few roofing nails putting up concrete backerboard, but it sure made the
job easy. Just another reason to have a good compressor.