Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

MiamiCuse wrote:

I rarely use hammers & nails as I typically prefer to use screws over nails.

However once in a while I need to use nails.

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail wood
gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle is awkward.
I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and messing up the nails as
I hammer them in. I don't think this is productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being bent?

Rub the hammer head's striking surface on concrete every once in a while
to replace the "polished" surface with slight roughness. (That's what I
was taught by a carpenter, about 50 years ago.)

Or, get a hammer with a "waffle marked" striking surface.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I cannot
use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

Unless I can use screws to serve the same purpose and drive them using a
power drill with a tight angle attachment.

Thanks,

MC