Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg[_2_] evodawg[_2_] is offline

Default Work Bench

Did the same thing, 2x4's on edge, but I drilled holes through each every
18" and used long all thread and torqued them together.. That was 25 years
ago, still going strong

Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:00:32 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench. I
have been using fold up ones and steel ones but I want a wood top with dog
holes and a couple of vices.

Because there is a rather large investment in the "TOP" I have kicked
around
using several different less expensive materials. In recent years the
replaceable MDF top has been popular with many magazines. I forget what I
was building several months ago but I ended up having several pieces of
1/2" Baltic Birch plywood stacked up and noticed that they looked quite
substantial.

I am wondering if any one has used Baltic Birch ripped in to "lot's" of
strips and glued up on the faces to make a bench top. Basically the edges
of all the Baltic Birch plywood would be facing up and down to form the
top of the top.

Ideas appreciated

Leon

Any wood will work. My benchtop is glued up 2x4 pine studs, finished
with danish oil. Spent lots of time flattening the top. I redo the
top every 3-4 years. A good bench should be large, sturdy and
heavy.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"