Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I rarely use hammers & nails as I typically prefer to use screws over nails.

Screws have their good points- but remember that their shear strength
is the weak spot.

However once in a while I need to use nails.

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail wood
gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle is awkward.
I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and messing up the nails as
I hammer them in. I don't think this is productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being bent?

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I cannot
use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

I haven't used one- but I have been thinking about picking one up for
a tight spot like you've got there-
Air palm hammer- $30

I also saw this one in a sears flyer last week
battery operated hammer- $100
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911818000P

The sears tool might work- but I think I'd spend $30 on a tool and
$100 on a compressor before I blew $100 on something that might just
get used once.

Unless I can use screws to serve the same purpose and drive them using a
power drill with a tight angle attachment.

The right-angle attachment might make getting a good hold on the
screw. And I doubt you'd be able to get screws with enough shear
strength for your purpose. [especially if you are in Miami where
shear strength in attic framing is all important]

Jim