Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Motion sensor lights.

1D10T wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message 39, bz
writes
"N_Cook" wrote in news:gir6od$b71$1
@news.motzarella.org:

wrote in message
The kind that have two lights.Is there a simple way to fix it up so
that
it will sound off a buzzer or a muffled horn inside my house?
cuhulin

Simple? No. But almost simple. Put a current transformer in series with
the
outdoor lights.
Use the secondary of the current transformer to drive a sonalert buzzer.

You may need to find out how much current your outdoor light draws, and
wind your own transformer.

You may also need to put a diode and or a zener across the transducer to
protect it from too much voltage.

Too complicated.

Most stand-alone motion sensors have a 4-way strip 'chocolate block' power
connector. These enable you to connect:
Neutral (common power in and power out to light).
Ground/earth (common power in and power out to light).
Live In (power in from switch).
Live Out (switched by sensor relay, and out to light).
[Note: If you want to override the sensor, and have the light always 'on'
when the power switch is 'on', you connect another switch between the Live
In and Live Out connections.]
To connect a warning buzzer (or any other device) as a 'slave' of the
light, simply take a power feed back from the Neutral and Live Out
connections (ie in parallel with the feed to the light). This can be
connected to a normal AC power receptacle/socket, then use a suitable
cheap wall-wart DC power supply to power the buzzer. This will buzz
whenever the light is lit.

Exactly as I've done it, several times. The system is mounted under an eave
on my detached workshop, and the buzzer is under an eave near my back door,
mounted on a 1/4" plywood 'sounding board', so that I'm aware of activity.
The worst part of the project was aiming the sensor to avoid false alarms,
as the front sidewalk is kinda close.

All doable with off-the-shelf X10 hardware...plug it in and play. They
have motion sensor outdoor lights which send an X10 signal when
triggered. That signal can enable any one of dozens of modules,
including a sounding unit which simply plugs into any convenient outlet.
Other modules plug into the wall and provide a switched outlet
controlled by the same signal--by which any sort of sounder, light or
any other 120v device can be triggered. An unlimited number of modules
can be simultaneously switched.

AIRC, one even includes a wired or wireless TV camera.

Someone steps on the porch; voila'! a dedicated video monitor comes on
at the same time as the light on the porch, showing the caller (or
intruder, as it were) at the same time a beeper sounds. The video
signal can be routed to a computer and trigger an email alert, with
recorded video...or viewed live from any web-connected computer.

jak