Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Toxic Waste in Chinese drywall

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
snip-----

Think about it...how do we know that the current sheetrock doesn't
have the same problem?

You don't. It's common practice to harvest gypsum from bag houses from
coal fired power plants, even here in the good ol' USA. It is used by the
drywall industry to make wallboard. There are other sources, much of it
occurring in nature.

One thing to consider---sulfuric acid does NOT dissolve copper. It is
commonly used as a pickle for copper, attacking *only* copper oxide.
There should be no free sulfur compounds present to create sulfuric
acid---it is bound with the limestone that is used to neutralize sulfur
dioxide, making gypsum in the process.

Harold

There is a sheetrock plant here in PA that has a long conveyer system (
I think its over half mile) that goes right to the coal generation plant
that averages burning 100 coal cars a day. You always had a little acid
forming wnen sheetrock got wet.

John