Posted to rec.woodworking
Nahmie Nahmie is offline

Default Sign of the times

On Dec 23, 4:25*am, Charlie Self wrote:
On Dec 23, 3:38*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote innews:MfOdnXCpzbDf4M3UnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@supernews. com:

Mike O. wrote:

In this area we have a lot of aircraft manufacturing. * With the
support of both the community and local business there is a pretty
serious effort made toward improving vocational training related to
that type of manufacturing.

Mike O.

* That is a good thing partially. *One downside to waiting until that
* late
to introduce students to shop principles is that by that time,
students are pretty well embarked on the direction they intend to go.
The advantage to teaching at the high school and junior high level is
that it gives all students and opportunity to get some familiarity
with equipment and tools. That can develop into a life-long
appreciation for the manual arts, even if one is not making a living
in that field.

I believe every person who goes through school should have a basic
introduction to the use and safety of basic hand tools. *This might be
basic hand-held power tools such as circular saws and drills.

They also need a basic introduction to cooking, such as food safety and
preparation of easy things like hamburgers, eggs, and the like.

Sounds like a decent way to spend a school year. *Half the year is home
ec, the other half is shop.

Puckdropper

Home Ec for guys used to be the thing we all giggled at. Shop for
girls! OHMIGAWD!

But, yeah, you're right, They both should be offered, and at least a
basic course in each should be mandatory, as should the fiscal end of
home ec.

Around here, the woodworking courses in HS were the big thing. They're
now like Ivory soap, 99 44/100% pure--pure gone, that is, with the
tools sold, and shop space converted to other uses. There simply are
far fewer furniture makers around here now. Last week, one of the two
remaining nearby announced it was laying off 90 of its 130 staff,
permanently.- Hide quoted text -

Chalie, etal,
Jamestown, NY used to be almost all furniture plants, but they've gone
the way of all things. Crawford Furniture is probably the biggest one
left, unless you count Bush Industries(kit furniture) I think Fancher
Chair is still opeating too, but the "giants" that built the city also
stagnated it, and they're all gone now.
Norm