Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Work Bench

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Personally, The only clear surface in my shop that I can use for furniture
assembly is my table saw and small parts of the floor. If you really need
a flat surface, really flat and really stable, then you need to build a
torsion box with plywood on both sides and an optional easily replaceable
hard board top.

My work benches all have 2x6 tops made out of cheap, construction grade
2x's. They look good (like wood) and are strong enough for anything I've
ever done. My main workbench is 30 years old, and has been used to build
fine furniture, junk furniture, repair electric motors, rebuild gas
engines, sharpen chain saws and about every other task one can come up
with over a life time. I look at all the fancy "cabinet makers" work
benches with the 3" hard wood tops, tool trays and what not and I shake my
head... If I made one of these things I'd be afraid to use it, and
besides, they generally have no storage in them and I would never build a
bench, work bench, tool stand etc. without storage. I don't really care
how big your shop is, you need more storage.

Is my main bench top beat up? Damn right it is, but it looks better to me
than the day I built it. I planned on having to refinish or replace it
periodically, but no way, no how. This is cheap, soft construction grade
pine. Whats nice about that is I was never afraid to use it, I could
always replace it easily and cheaply if I wanted too, just never found the
need.

I might add I haven't seen much of the top in a few years, it is
habitually covered in "stuff" If my memory is working, you are the guy
that posted a picture of your bench in a once in a blue moon
semi-uncluttered condition?

Thanks Jack, I keep you comments in mind. The torsion box idea might be a
good alternative. On the other hand I am not afraid of using a bench. ;~)
Few of my tools or equipment look pristine. If I posted a picture of my
bench it was a steel automotive work bench. Other than that I have a B&D
work table about 3' square that I have had for almost 30 years.
I would really like to remove the steel top from my current bench and hang
it on the back side of a mobile "wooden" work bench so that I could fold it
up and make my work surface area larger if needed.