Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Work Bench

Leon wrote:

That bit of information probably would have been helpful. ;!) I am wanting
a "flat" work bench to shape wood and or use for assembly of furniture. I
really want to get something bigger than my TS top. LOL

Personally, The only clear surface in my shop that I can use for
furniture assembly is my table saw and small parts of the floor. If you
really need a flat surface, really flat and really stable, then you need
to build a torsion box with plywood on both sides and an optional easily
replaceable hard board top.

My work benches all have 2x6 tops made out of cheap, construction grade
2x's. They look good (like wood) and are strong enough for anything I've
ever done. My main workbench is 30 years old, and has been used to
build fine furniture, junk furniture, repair electric motors, rebuild
gas engines, sharpen chain saws and about every other task one can come
up with over a life time. I look at all the fancy "cabinet makers" work
benches with the 3" hard wood tops, tool trays and what not and I shake
my head... If I made one of these things I'd be afraid to use it, and
besides, they generally have no storage in them and I would never build
a bench, work bench, tool stand etc. without storage. I don't really
care how big your shop is, you need more storage.

Is my main bench top beat up? Damn right it is, but it looks better to
me than the day I built it. I planned on having to refinish or replace
it periodically, but no way, no how. This is cheap, soft construction
grade pine. Whats nice about that is I was never afraid to use it, I
could always replace it easily and cheaply if I wanted too, just never
found the need.

I might add I haven't seen much of the top in a few years, it is
habitually covered in "stuff" If my memory is working, you are the guy
that posted a picture of your bench in a once in a blue moon
semi-uncluttered condition?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com