Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sign of the times

Charlie Self wrote in
:

Home Ec for guys used to be the thing we all giggled at. Shop for
girls! OHMIGAWD!

It still seems like a 95/5 split for the classes that aren't required.

But, yeah, you're right, They both should be offered, and at least a
basic course in each should be mandatory, as should the fiscal end of
home ec.

The fiscal end is taught in many schools. It's called something like
Consumers Education and teaches you things like balancing checkbooks
(equal weight on both sides?) and how to fill out tax forms. Best thing
about that class was a certain blonde...

Around here, the woodworking courses in HS were the big thing. They're
now like Ivory soap, 99 44/100% pure--pure gone, that is, with the
tools sold, and shop space converted to other uses. There simply are
far fewer furniture makers around here now. Last week, one of the two
remaining nearby announced it was laying off 90 of its 130 staff,
permanently.

Shop and band were the two classes I felt were best for my mental state.
They were the only places that were fun on a regular basis.

I've got to wonder how the next generation's going to turn out without
these "unnecessary" classes.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.