Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

PDQ wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
PDQ wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just
overwhelmed.
Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really
need
to do something.
I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP
set-up, all it would do would buy a little time between dumping.

So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know
about
those things?

1. Does not matter what version of dust collection you implement.
The only way to lengthen the time between dumpings is to either
stop
collecting or get a bigger container.

The difference is that with a cyclone you just empty a container,
you
don't have to beat dust off of the clogged filters, which if I
understand correctly was the issue.

With a properly designed cyclone very, very little gets to the
filters.

Yep. Still say time between dumps is a function of collector size.
I have a friend who has a 40 foot tall collector painted to look
like
a beer can. He does not empty it very often but, when he does, we
have a really big bonfire.

As to fines, the cyclone culls out almost all the big lumps (think
jointer or planer) but does not do as good a job with the fine stuff
as a lot of that still gets to the filters.

You can have the pacific ocean for a collector but if the filters clog
in an hour that doesn't do you any good.

If "a lot of that" is getting to the filters it's a crappy cyclone.

2. Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1
has a really good write-up on the theory of a cyclone collector.
Their catalogue has a lot of accessories to really make it sing.

3. As theory goes, the cyclone approach really works. In
practice,
it is only as good as the collection system you hook up to it.

I see very little in the way of fines settling out regardless of
whether the machine I'm using is connected to the cyclone.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

P D Q