Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Toxic Waste in Chinese drywall

"Azotic" wrote in message

.. .

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
snip-----

Think about it...how do we know that the current sheetrock doesn't
have the same problem?

You don't. It's common practice to harvest gypsum from bag houses from
coal fired power plants, even here in the good ol' USA. It is used by
the drywall industry to make wallboard. There are other sources, much of
it occurring in nature.

One thing to consider---sulfuric acid does NOT dissolve copper. It is
commonly used as a pickle for copper, attacking *only* copper oxide.
There should be no free sulfur compounds present to create sulfuric
acid---it is bound with the limestone that is used to neutralize sulfur
dioxide, making gypsum in the process.

Harold

You forget this drywall came from china, known for thier high standards of
quality and unique cost cutting solutions. Seems the chinese have found
a way make low cost gypsum by eliminating all those unnessary and costly
steps others use. As i recall the chinese also like to add some secrete
ingrediants
on occasion as they recently did with baby formula they exported.

"It is the drywall, and from what I gather, it is causing a problem with
copper and specifically air conditioning units," said Dawn Harris-Young,
spokeswoman from the EPA Region 4 in Atlanta.

The Florida Health Department is handling the issue and keeping the EPA
apprised, she said.

Just gonna have to wait for a lab analysis to determine what that drywall
realy contains.

Best Regards
Tom.

I don't (and wouldn't) doubt the possibility of other contaminants, Tom. I
think we've seen ample evidence of that already by the other products that
have proven to be troublesome---just trying to shed some light on the idea
that it is common practice for drywall manufacturers to use the salvaged
gypsum from that source. A workman was killed here recently when a huge
piece came off one of the scrubbers and hit him. They were salvaging the
gypsum when it happened.

I wonder, how safe are we, even with board made in the US? It seems to me
that many corporations have placed a higher priority on profit than anything
else. At this point in time, nothing surprises me.

Harold