Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Devcon Blue Threadlocker

On Dec 22, 2:15*pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 22, 1:01*am, BobK207 wrote:

On Dec 21, 4:44*pm, ransley wrote:

I used a new tube of this locktite a week ago and spilled it on
plastic, it is still liqued, how can it work since it hasnt cured,
doesnt Blue locktite cure hard? Is my tube a defect or old.

as per the other replies......loctites are anaerobic adhesives..

specialily formulated to harden in the interstitial space between male
& female fastening elements *(or between rod & hole as for slip fits
or bearings in a recess)

Loctite stays liquid & uncured in the bottle or tube because of the
air contained within.

Blue loctite cures "hard" but can be defeated with hand tools...red
loctites usually require high heat to defeat.

Lotittes that I typically use

242, 243 * "blue types" * 243 esp good as a gap filler for Class 1
threads *& faster cure
271 * * "red" *"permanent" * be sure you really want this assembly to
not come apart or can heat it to 350F+
680 * *"green" *for slip fits

www.mcmaster.comisboth a source of loctite & information about
loctites

cheers
Bob

I have Locktite on Lockites tube threads and kept the cap tight for a
week, which should have cured it, but the cap came off like it was
greased. But everyone thinks this is normal I guess. I thought maybe
it was a counterfeit batch of chinese Locktite. My snowblower lost 4
screws I didnt Locktite, now I have 25 screws off so I guess I will
find out.

In order for loctite to work reliably the threads (bolt & nut) must be
clean (grease, oil, dirt free)

Loctite makes primers that REALLY makes the system work. Using
primer makes a huge difference.

Years ago we got tired of MIL-STD type cable connectors "unscrewing"
in the wrong location (at the backshell or strain relief) so we
developed a technique of usinng loctite on the parts of the connectors
that I didn't want to come apart.

We cleaned the parts with a little acetone & a clean rag, primed them
& loctited them with 243........... they never came apart

cheers
Bob