Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Work Bench

zxcvbob wrote:
Leon wrote:
For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench. I
have been using fold up ones and steel ones but I want a wood top with
dog holes and a couple of vices.

Because there is a rather large investment in the "TOP" I have kicked
around using several different less expensive materials. In recent
years the replaceable MDF top has been popular with many magazines. I
forget what I was building several months ago but I ended up having
several pieces of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood stacked up and noticed
that they looked quite substantial.

I am wondering if any one has used Baltic Birch ripped in to "lot's"
of strips and glued up on the faces to make a bench top. Basically
the edges of all the Baltic Birch plywood would be facing up and down
to form the top of the top.

Ideas appreciated

Leon

Best thing I have found for the top is a used solid interior door. I
bought a discarded hospital door for about $5 or $10 a few years ago.
Would have cost me at least 10x that much to build a hardwood slab like
that.

Bob

Have to agree ,Thats what I used ,two laminated together would make a
very substantial bench top.

--
Kevin (Bluey)