Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
One way is to use a 55 gallon drum. The lid has two portals.
Inlet
and outlet. The outlet goes to the bag system. Between the two you
bolt on or weld - a fence that extends 4-5 times the diameter of the
hose.
So the inlet is pulled in and dumps into the can. Lighter stuff
continues on the way to the filter.

Have two barrels and one lid - never run out of room.

Naturally a nice one outside on the edge of the building that can
dump into a truck or large bag in the truck would be nice and best.

What you have described is a poorly designed inefficient cyclone.

If you're DIYing and all ready have a good sized dust colletor, it
doesn't cost all that much to beat together a real cyclone.

Martin

Robatoy wrote:
The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just overwhelmed.
Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really need
to do something.
I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP
set-up, all it would do would buy a little time between dumping.

So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know about
those things?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)