Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

On Dec 22, 11:10*pm, "PDQ" wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in ...
PDQ wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
The pleated-paper canister filter on my 2HP DC is just overwhelmed.
Better than the old bag. A bag is good for 1 hour.... I really need
to do something.
I figure that if I were to upgrade to a double canister 3-4 HP
set-up, all it would do would buy a little time between dumping.

So, I'm told that a cyclone is the way to go. What do we know about
those things?

1. *Does not matter what version of dust collection you implement.
The only way to lengthen the time between dumpings is to either stop
collecting or get a bigger container.

The difference is that with a cyclone you just empty a container, you
don't have to beat dust off of the clogged filters, which if I
understand correctly was the issue.

With a properly designed cyclone very, very little gets to the
filters.

Yep. *Still say time between dumps is a function of collector size. *I have a friend who has a 40 foot tall collector painted to look like a beer can. *He does not empty it very often but, when he does, we have a really big bonfire.

As to fines, the cyclone culls out almost all the big lumps (think jointer or planer) but does not do as good a job with the fine stuff as a lot of that still gets to the filters.

My understanding, is that the whole point of a cyclone is to virtually
eliminate ANYthing getting to the filters.
My router doesn't produce a lot of pounds of crap, but so much of it
is fluffy filter-clogging crap. I didn't mean to emphasize the total
quantity of the crap, just that a lot of it is MDF and acrylic
fluffiness. Even the flappers on my canister is rendered useless after
a 1 hour cutting routine.