Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

Jack Stein wrote in
:

Han wrote:

I'm looking forward to that. I have tried a couple of times to use
Sketchup, but I'm too atherosclerosed to understand what I am
supposed to do.

I can relate to that. I'm on my 3rd, or possibly 4th attempt to learn
SU and I think I got it this time. Problem is, it does so much stuff
and does it very easily, that you get twisted up in it's capabilities.
You can't learn it all in a week it seems. You need to put in some
time and work at it a bit, with good tutorials at hand. Just getting
the axis to work took me a while. One problem I think people have is
thinking it is limited because it's free. I have have enough under my
belt now to know this sucker is nothing less than amazing in it's
capabilities.

I know it enough now to say it is the best thing for woodworkers to
come along in a long time, especially the hobbyist or small shop owner
that doesn't have the time or money to spend on autocad (I don't know
zip about autocad other than all the architects seem to use it and it
costs a fortune and the learning curve is supposedly steep.)

For me, I learned how to draw with a pencil well enough to "sketch up"
anything I wanted to make, quickly. After all, once you learn how to
build stuff, you don't need anything real fancy, sometimes just a few
sizes jotted down to get things right. This program makes that about
obsolete as I can do pretty fancy drawings to perfect scale, with
close enough colors if I want to see not just how to build something,
but exactly what it will look like when I'm done. The time it takes
to do this is warp speed once you learn how to use it.

I'm still amazed something this good is free. I keep waiting for the
"hook" to dig into my lip, but seems their is such a thing as a free
lunch...

I been thinking of making another work bench for my shop for a long
time and decided to use this idea to learn SU. I could have built
this thing several times already for the hours I put in SU, but 99% of
the time was learning. Now I could do this whole thing from scrath in
less than an hour, and I'm still VERY new at this. Here is a picture
of the bench,

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.jpg

the SU file is not finished, I'll probably start over just to make
sure things are really how I want them, but here it is, I enjoy
looking at others stuff, so I might as well put it up...

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.skp

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...

--
Best regards
Han