Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

Been playing around with creating "dynamic components", using that new
feature now available in SketchUp7-Pro.

Below is a file that contains two .skp files, one for Base Cabinet FF's, and
one for Wall Cabinet FF's. (Be sure to open any folder if it downloads that
way):

http://e-woodshop.net/files/DC-FaceFrame.zip

If you're a SketchUp7 user, you might want to give these a try and let me
know how they work for you.

(Note: you will want to "import" into an open file. On some systems you also
to may have to "explode" the component itself _once_ after its loaded into
SU to the get the "component" to by dynamic ... but try it first.)

~The Base Cabinet face frame "component" should respond to a user selected
"Cabinet Width" list box, in industry standard 3" increments, or you can
"scale" the component to any desired WIDTH using the "scale tool".

~ The Wall Cabinet "component" should respond to both user selected "Cabinet
Width" and "Cabinet Height" list box, in industry standard 3" increments, or
you can "scale" the component to any desired WIDTH and HEIGHT using the
"scale tool".

Since I always build my face frames first, then assemble the sides, top and
bottom onto them, this is a useful tool for determining cabinet WIDTHS when
designing a kitchen, and to see what will fit where, or resizing and/or
scaling/snapping into unoccupied wall or floor spaces you need to fill with
cabinet.

But either way you build your cabinets, you may find the ability to
dimension, or scale, cabinet face frames handy.

This is now especially true if you want to generate a face frame cutlist
from your model and you also own CutList Plus.

The "Cutlist 4" Sketchup plug-in linked below, is specifically designed to
work with CutList Plus ... damn nifty!

http://www.box.net/shared/m9ryf1l0ni

This is my first try with DC's, so let me know if something doesn't work,
and any comments welcome.

Thanks,

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. ;^)

On Dec 19, 9:23*am, "Swingman" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. ;^)

Methinks SketchUp may have a ways to go yet.

I discovered an interesting "feature" this morning and will post to
abpw. It doesn't like to make a hole through material that already has a
hole in it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 5:02*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. * ;^)

Methinks SketchUp may have a ways to go yet.

At the risk of sounding a bit snobbish, Sketch-Up is a fun entry-level
product which hopefully will entice the curious into trying real CAD
software. That is especially true when you're trying to make the link
between CAD and CAM.
Having said that, for the price (even for the Pro version) SketchUp
appears to be an excellent value.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Ah, that explains it. I saw the posting and was wondering how you got
those pipes drawn in the center there. I'll have to try that with VariCAD,
I don't think that would be an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

At the risk of sounding a bit snobbish, Sketch-Up is a fun entry-level
product which hopefully will entice the curious into trying real CAD
software.

Don't look now, Rob, but your lack familiarity with the program is showing
.... SketchUp has always been upfront about NOT being "CAD software".

That is especially true when you're trying to make the link
between CAD and CAM.
Having said that, for the price (even for the Pro version) SketchUp
appears to be an excellent value.

All the Pro version does is add advanced printing, exporting, importing, and
presentation capabilities. Other than the ability to create dynamic
components, and the above mentioned, there is no functional difference
between the free and Pro versions.

Any tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it ... it is always a
mistake to sell something short on the basis of cursory knowledge.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. ;^)

Methinks SketchUp may have a ways to go yet.

And methinks the operator may have a ways to go to understand how to operate
the program.

I discovered an interesting "feature" this morning and will post to abpw.
It doesn't like to make a hole through material that already has a hole in
it.

Like I said on apbw, this is elementary ... send me the file and I'll be
glad to show you how to do it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 8:21*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

At the risk of sounding a bit snobbish, Sketch-Up is a fun entry-level
product which hopefully will entice the curious into trying real CAD
software.

Don't look now, Rob, but your lack familiarity with the program is showing
... SketchUp has always been upfront about NOT being "CAD software". *

I am the first to agree that I have yet to delve into all of the host
of features that SketchUp offers.
I , frankly, haven't had the need. So your assesment of my lack of
familiarity is sound. Somewhat.
And yet, my grandmother's wisdom haunts me: "I don't know how to lay
eggs, but I sure know when one shouldn't be eaten."
I am still somewhat curious how someone, like yourself, who has shown
a solid working knowledge of other software has bolted onto the
SketchUp product.
This is not a critique, but a question. You were a TurboCAD user at
one time, were'nt you? Why the change?
I have never been one to stay with a system/software 'just because'.
If that were true, wtf am I married 3 times? I am willing to change
and learn. I just don't see SketchUp as a path to growth, unlike
TurboCAD which ate least teaches CAD-style conventions.

Am I way off here?

snip

*Any tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it ... it is always a
mistake to sell something short on the basis of cursory knowledge.

I agree, but why change a horse in the middle of a stream? There must
be real advantage to adopting SketchUp over Turbo. If there is, I
don't see it.
And when it comes to wielding tools in the CAD and 3D modelling world,
I hold my own quite well. SketchUp leaves me wanting more. Like NURBs.
Like extrusions along rails. Like sweeps along bezier paths. Skinning
and a full set of Bolean functions and a full set of rendering tools.
And after all that, a true export ability that all programs can
understand and parse. And don't get me started on infinite lighting
sources and radiosity. Textures in all their photo-realistic glory.

SketchUp has never made claims to fit my bill. They don't. But if
you're going to learn conventions, they should be cross-platform, and
adhere to some standard which is transportable.

Honestly, dude... nothing personal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Methinks SketchUp may have a ways to go yet.

I discovered an interesting "feature" this morning and will post to abpw.
It doesn't like to make a hole through material that already has a hole in
it.

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the hole
you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the hole(s),
then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the parts you don't
want.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to get
holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/CurvedFaces.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote
[...]

Tsk, tsk ... a FREE ****ing woodworking "TOOL", for gawd's sakes ... nuff
said!

http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/b...gn-click-build

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote

Methinks SketchUp may have a ways to go yet.

I discovered an interesting "feature" this morning and will post to abpw.
It doesn't like to make a hole through material that already has a hole in
it.

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the hole
you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the hole(s),
then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the parts you don't
want.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to get
holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

Good stuff - thank you! My knowledge /is/ cursory, and I /did/ take 'em
at their word when they described the "push-pull" tool as being a good
way to make holes.

I don't really mind having to create three extra objects I don't want in
order to make one that I do, but this is like having a stack of
fencepost holes so you can pop 'em into the ground to build a fence...

It all went /really/ weird when I tried to delete the "pipes".

Umm - next up, I'm going to need a threaded hole/cylinder (1/4-20
please) for an Allen setscrew.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the hole
you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the hole(s),
then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the parts you don't
want.

Tried that (several times) and took screen shots at each stage. Pix on abpw.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to get
holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

Obviously I'm doing something horribly wrong, but it isn't a three
minute job yet...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote\

Good stuff - thank you! My knowledge /is/ cursory, and I /did/ take 'em at
their word when they described the "push-pull" tool as being a good way to
make holes.

I don't really mind having to create three extra objects I don't want in
order to make one that I do,

That's because you do it in woodworking all the time.

Besides, the only additional object necessary was the cylinder, which took
less that five seconds to draw ... think of it as a jig.

What folks, in their initial exposure to the program, can't seem to grasp is
that Sketchup is not a CAD program in the traditional sense, and it indeed
requires a different mindset to those stuck in the CAD gear. Sadly, and as
you see in this thread, it's all to to easy to dismiss the program based on
ignorance and misconceptions about "CAD" ... and probably also, because the
first things you learn to do when playing around with it do look
"cartoonish".

There is one guiding principle behind SketchUp's concept that makes it an
absolute PERFECT (astounding actually) fit with woodworking endeavors:

~ Sketchup deals with the manipulation of "surfaces" and "edges".
~ Woodworking deals with the manipulation of "surfaces" and "edges"*

A woodworker couldn't ask for more ...

Once this is grasped by an open mind, the program morphs into an astounding
tool for the woodworker interested in designing his own projects, from
simple tables, to complex joinery, constructing them, and, for the
professional woodworker, presenting them to clients ... all with a lot less
effort, and less lost shop time, than with most similar programs.

Simply speaking, build a SketchUp model precisely like you would a
woodworking project, by starting with the individual components, then join
the individual parts into the whole. Once you're done, you have both a model
(plan), for your own use or for presentation, and, most importantly, you
have solved most of the construction problems and gained an intimate
knowledge of what you need to do to build the model when you hit the shop.

The price is right, the program is much more intuitive than most CAD
software, doesn't require all that much time to become reasonably
proficient, and at that point the payback becomes way out of proportion to
the effort expended.

AAMOF, there are few tools more advantageous to a smart, serious woodworker!
It appears that more and more of same are beginning to realize that.

Great time to be alive ... this digital age!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote
Swingman wrote:

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the
hole you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the
hole(s), then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the
parts you don't want.

Tried that (several times) and took screen shots at each stage. Pix on
abpw.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to
get holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

Obviously I'm doing something horribly wrong, but it isn't a three minute
job yet...

Draw your cylinder; make it into a "component"; poke it through your curved
surface; "interface with model"; "explode" the cylinder; erase the parts of
the cylinder you don't want (three parts, plus the ends);, lastly, erase the
remnants (a circle on either side) of the cylinder on the face of the curved
surface.

It takes less time to do than tell ... if you're really interested, and I
can find the time today, I'll make you an animated "tutorial" of the steps
above ... using the "scenes" function, a tutorial is easy to do in SketchUp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 5:21*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

"Any tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it"

Here here, good addition to my Grandpa's favorite "Its a poor workman
what blames his tools."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Morris Dovey" wrote
Swingman wrote:

[...]

I'm looking forward to that. I have tried a couple of times to use
Sketchup, but I'm too atherosclerosed to understand what I am supposed to
do.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 9:35*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/b...gn-click-build

Nice link, thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. ;^)

Well said ...

Having somehow missed out on the designer gene, 3D software, along with
e-books, has been one of my two biggest dreams for years.

Things I've designed in the past looked great in 2D software, and on the
shop bench, but put them on the floor, or a wall, and view them from
different perspectives, and I've often been disappointed in many respects.

For the first time ever I've been able to get my ideas down in 3D and view
them from those perspectives which my lousy design skills can't foresee, at
a reasonable cost, and without spending money and time on a steep learning
curve.

I'm also making money using the program, a good deal of money, and it amazes
me how little effort it took to garner that type of reward.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote

wants. That's more a compliment than a detraction or dismissal. Sketchup
*almost* allows me to do useful work. A few more versions and a bit more
development will get it there.

That's too bad ... In a nutshell, I've made woodworking pay a lot more since
wielding SU than any other software design program to date. I can't wait for
"a few more versions and a bit more development" to make even more $.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the
hole you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the
hole(s), then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the
parts you don't want.

Tried that (several times) and took screen shots at each stage. Pix on
abpw.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to
get holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

Obviously I'm doing something horribly wrong, but it isn't a three minute
job yet...

OK, here's your "tutorial":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Hole...edSurfaces.zip

As I said on apbw, this is just one method to drill holes in curved
surfaces. There are other ways to do this in SketchUp.

I'm still a newbie!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

OK, here's your "tutorial":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Hole...edSurfaces.zip

As I said on apbw, this is just one method to drill holes in curved
surfaces. There are other ways to do this in SketchUp.

I'm still a newbie!

Not the newest of newbies, it would seem.

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame componentsURL correction

Han wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in news:UbKdnQ_
:

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how to
download?

I'm intrigued by the description ...

Put around the link. The space between wall and adjusted is the
problem.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote
"Swingman"

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how to
download?

It is the space in the file name that causing the problem, but it needs to
be there. Just cut and paste everything from "h" to "p" in zip into your
address bar. I'm using fire fox also and it works.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Han wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in news:UbKdnQ_
:

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how
to download?

I'm intrigued by the description ...

Put around the link. The space between wall and adjusted is the
problem.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Even that is getting screwed up... some browsers will delete spaces in urls.
You might want to put an underscore "_" in place of a space, in the
original link.
You must change it on your server, too, however.
Like this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitc...usted12-08.zip

For now, it works if you cut-n-paste.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in news:UbKdnQ_
:

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how
to download?

I'm intrigued by the description ...

Put around the link. The space between wall and adjusted is the
problem.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Thanks, Mike! I had to paste the space and following into the browser,
then I could download the file.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote
"Swingman"

Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Firefox says page not found on this too. Any better instructions how
to download?

It is the space in the file name that causing the problem, but it
needs to be there. Just cut and paste everything from "h" to "p" in
zip into your address bar. I'm using fire fox also and it works.

I am salivating so baaadly that I have to go see the dentist. Oh, no,
that's because my tooth fell out again ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"MikeWhy" wrote

It's good, and it's fast for the initial rough out. There's still room
for the middleweight systems. Mostly, it's the lack of "history" and
committing to details too soon. I can't easily go back a few steps and
adjust a smidge and then roll it forward again. Other times, it's the
inferencing that guesses wrong and won't be corrected. Overall, though,
it's a remarkably useful tool as it is, a huge step toward empowering the
normal person to sketch up and document his world. For that alone, I'm
very sure history will speak well of Google's achievements in these
years.

Google is just standing on the shoulders of giants ... they bought out the
company that created it.

To buy it and own it is one thing. To give it away freely with only the hope
that you'll use it, that's something else.

So, what's your revenue stream with CAD? Are you just better able to
communicate ideas? Save time by thinking through the details? How is SU
making you $$?

Just a current example that's being worked on, with a bit of history
behind it following ... caution, it's a 1.3mb download:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

Angle brackets http.... helps with word wrap and embedded spaces.

1.3 mb was nothing compared to the 33 mb update to sketchup 7. Wouldn't open
in 6.

I could of spent $5K easily on another 3D "CAD" program, but I would still
be learning the software months from now, instead of making money with it.

Maybe, but I think maybe not. Solidworks and Inventor are not much different
for the types of things I would try to use Sketchup. What's important is
that the tool doesn't get in the way. None are perfect; they all get in the
way, just in different ways and places.

Sketchup had the benefit of letting your customer participate in the design.
(Gawd. Talk about dual edge swords.)

You asked ...

Yup. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 3:06 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
Sorry damn spell checker did not like that URL:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Kitchen-wall adjusted12-08.zip

It's the space in the filename that is causing the problem, just cut
and paste the whole thing into your browser.

I use sketchup primarily just to visualize the big picture. The
things I know I'm going to have to fight with it to do what I want, as
much from my own lack of experience and not using it often enough to
keep fresh with it, I just leave out. That way I can get a quick idea
in literally a few minutes, spin the sucker around from different
perspectives, throw on some dimensions and I have something I can
refer back to in the shop. I don't need to have every detail laid out
perfectly to get what I need from it.

This one I did fight with to get the model closer to a finished
product, because I was really out in uncharted waters. But I didn't
model any of the internal structure. And I did make changes that I
didn't bother reflecting in the model because it would have been a
PITA, but the point is the model got me to where I could get started
on something I was having a hard time visualizing.

http://www.krtwood.com/images/preview/p03.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=11475451

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 3:02*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

I could of spent $5K easily on another 3D "CAD" program, but I would still
be learning the software months from now, instead of making money with it..

Perfect. It suits your needs. In the end, that's all that matters.
What matters for me, is that, after I do my presentation, and the
customer and I work out the bugs, I can go straight to production...
with the same files.
I already spent the money on the software and became a 3D AutoCAD user
15+ years ago.
I also found AutoCAD horribly awkward and non-intuitive.
I need the ability to model, such as this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Corner.jpg

and when I make a presentation drawing for a custom big-dollar
installation, it also has a complete Bill Of Materials, including
slides, knobs and hinges. On a job like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/217Kit.jpg
not having to duplicate over and over when customers make changes is
an invaluable tool for me.

Sometimes you need a chisel, sometimes a Multi Router.

btw..eCabinet software is free also. Incredible value, especially when
one can detach from the CNC cooperative and accomplish all this in
house.
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=11475451

-Kevin

Gorgeous.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 20, 3:02 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

I could of spent $5K easily on another 3D "CAD" program, but I would
still
be learning the software months from now, instead of making money with
it.

Perfect. It suits your needs. In the end, that's all that matters.
What matters for me, is that, after I do my presentation, and the
customer and I work out the bugs, I can go straight to production...
with the same files.

Likewise ... the Pro version is in hand.

I already spent the money on the software and became a 3D AutoCAD user
15+ years ago.
I also found AutoCAD horribly awkward and non-intuitive.
I need the ability to model, such as this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Corner.jpg

I have to use compatible software because most of the architects I deal with
use nothing but.

AutoSketch does that nicely/cheaply for me as I can edit/print .dwg files
when necessary, which happens quite a bit.

and when I make a presentation drawing for a custom big-dollar
installation, it also has a complete Bill Of Materials, including
slides, knobs and hinges. On a job like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/217Kit.jpg
not having to duplicate over and over when customers make changes is
an invaluable tool for me.

Believe it or not, SU Pro does the same thing, including keeping track of
colors on a wall by wall basis. Using dynamic components you can just let
the customer choose/change the hardware, color, etc, from a drop down list,
and all from the free version freely available to them. AAMOF, SU is
extensible enough using Ruby, that most of the large, high dollar graphic
folks have plug-in's readily available for high end rendering, etc.

There are also a world of architects involved in with program now, sort of
surprised me, knowing what I know about architects.

Sometimes you need a chisel, sometimes a Multi Router.

btw..eCabinet software is free also. Incredible value, especially when
one can detach from the CNC cooperative and accomplish all this in
house.
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/

Hope it's better now ... at one time it was the worst malware I ever loaded
on a computer ... it was basically a virus when I belonged to their
"network" some five or six years back. Was glad to get it off the office
computers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

OK, here's your "tutorial":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Hole...edSurfaces.zip

Thanks! It worked for me.

I'd still like to see a way to do that common job done more simply.

Now about that threaded hole for the set screw...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 6:41*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Hope it's better now ... at one time it was the worst malware I ever loaded
on a computer ... it was basically a virus when I belonged to their
"network" some five or six years back. Was glad to get it off the office
computers.

Seems to be better. I have only done a few jobs through that
community, the fit and finish has been 'adequate'.

The software that turns my crank these days is Vectric's Aspire.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 6:15 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=11475451

-Kevin

Gorgeous.

Thanks Mike!

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 7:38*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:
OK, here's your "tutorial":

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/Hole...edSurfaces.zip

Thanks! It worked for me.

I'd still like to see a way to do that common job done more simply.

Now about that threaded hole for the set screw...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Extrude along helix. Piece of cake.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I need the ability to model, such as this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Corner.jpg

If you really "need" it, ruby scripts, and free software like Kerkythea, are
available as plug-ins to Sketchup at much less total cost (often free) than
most in situ software.

You mean like these:

http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/...p?f=81&t=14993
http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/...p?f=81&t=15103

and before and after:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5012/ariston1jf4.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5959/ariston2hs3.jpg

This discussion has been centered around SketchUp and its application for
woodworkers. Most woodworkers would rarely need more than the above ... and
it's certainly freely available if they do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

I'm looking forward to that. I have tried a couple of times to use
Sketchup, but I'm too atherosclerosed to understand what I am supposed to
do.

I can relate to that. I'm on my 3rd, or possibly 4th attempt to learn
SU and I think I got it this time. Problem is, it does so much stuff
and does it very easily, that you get twisted up in it's capabilities.
You can't learn it all in a week it seems. You need to put in some time
and work at it a bit, with good tutorials at hand. Just getting the
axis to work took me a while. One problem I think people have is
thinking it is limited because it's free. I have have enough under my
belt now to know this sucker is nothing less than amazing in it's
capabilities.

I know it enough now to say it is the best thing for woodworkers to come
along in a long time, especially the hobbyist or small shop owner that
doesn't have the time or money to spend on autocad (I don't know zip
about autocad other than all the architects seem to use it and it costs
a fortune and the learning curve is supposedly steep.)

For me, I learned how to draw with a pencil well enough to "sketch up"
anything I wanted to make, quickly. After all, once you learn how to
build stuff, you don't need anything real fancy, sometimes just a few
sizes jotted down to get things right. This program makes that about
obsolete as I can do pretty fancy drawings to perfect scale, with close
enough colors if I want to see not just how to build something, but
exactly what it will look like when I'm done. The time it takes to do
this is warp speed once you learn how to use it.

I'm still amazed something this good is free. I keep waiting for the
"hook" to dig into my lip, but seems their is such a thing as a free
lunch...

I been thinking of making another work bench for my shop for a long time
and decided to use this idea to learn SU. I could have built this thing
several times already for the hours I put in SU, but 99% of the time was
learning. Now I could do this whole thing from scrath in less than an
hour, and I'm still VERY new at this. Here is a picture of the bench,

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.jpg

the SU file is not finished, I'll probably start over just to make sure
things are really how I want them, but here it is, I enjoy looking at
others stuff, so I might as well put it up...

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.skp

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote\

[...]

Well said, Jack!

I'm still amazed something this good is free. I keep waiting for the
"hook" to dig into my lip, but seems their is such a thing as a free
lunch...

LOL .. myself!

I do have the Pro version because I'm building a custom home where much of
the design was done using the free version and the designer could not print
out construction documents that were suitable for bidding/building ... and
if I had to buy it, I wasn't going to buy it for anyone else!

The Pro version makes it possible for me to take the designer's models and
output industry standard construction documents, and since I have it, I
figured I'd whip up some dynamic cabinet components and put them up for free
download for those using the free version. Besides, it was a valuable
learning experience for me, and one that upped my facility with program.

I been thinking of making another work bench for my shop for a long time
and decided to use this idea to learn SU. I could have built this thing
several times already for the hours I put in SU, but 99% of the time was
learning. Now I could do this whole thing from scrath in less than an
hour, and I'm still VERY new at this. Here is a picture of the bench,

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.jpg

the SU file is not finished, I'll probably start over just to make sure
things are really how I want them, but here it is, I enjoy looking at
others stuff, so I might as well put it up...

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.skp

Well done ... good to hear from those who've snapped to the value this
program can bring to woodworkers in particular.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Jack Stein wrote in
:

Han wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jack! I need to find the time to learn SU ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I do have the Pro version because I'm building a custom home where much of
the design was done using the free version and the designer could not print
out construction documents that were suitable for bidding/building ... and
if I had to buy it, I wasn't going to buy it for anyone else!

Yes, I think it's kind of neat that everything seems to be included in
the free version except stuff that would be used by a professional to
share files with other programs. I'm still not too clear on whether the
professional version has capabilities a hobbyist would need?

The Pro version makes it possible for me to take the designer's models and
output industry standard construction documents, and since I have it, I
figured I'd whip up some dynamic cabinet components and put them up for free
download for those using the free version.

I'm not too clear on what dynamic components are? I haven't figured out
yet how to resize things to scale yet, but I watched a video on Fine
Woodworking (thanks for that link) and it seemed easy enough by just
selecting and moving part of the design. I haven't tried it yet, but on
your base cabinet, which I grabbed, I attempted to select part of it but
it didn't select as shown in the video... I spent 30 seconds on it
though, will try again with the tutorial in hand. I'm hoping that is
not something only in the pro version..

Besides, it was a valuable
learning experience for me, and one that upped my facility with program.

You seem to have picked it up rather quickly. Either you are really
really smart, or you put more time in it than comes across in your
posts. Anyway, you are largely responsible for me not hastily tossing
it aside, and I'll bet a number of others will hang in there thanks to
your discussions on the subject. Keep up the good work.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bench1.skp

Well done ... good to hear from those who've snapped to the value this
program can bring to woodworkers in particular.

Again, you deserve lots of credit for keeping this in focus, at least
for me. One of the problems I have is all the tutorials I used to learn
on were buildings and stuff, instead of drawers, benches, cabinets and
what not.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com