Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Wasteful Packaging

On Dec 21, 1:10 pm, "Upscale" wrote:
I was talking to someone a little while ago about wasteful packaging. It
appears to be even worse than I imagined.

I recently ordered a DeWalt D26453K random orbit sander, the one with that
comes with the big, black, plastic case containing the sander and absolutely
nothing else. Cost? $103.99. From the same company, I also priced the D26453
sander without the case. Cost? $114.99. Explain that to me?

Take a look at the prices of the ubiquitous 2-1/4 hp router kits with
fixed and plunge bases, two collets, wrench(es), maybe even a starter
set of 1/4" bits or other accessories, and of course a giant case to
hold it all. Then price out just getting a replacement motor, which
will cost more. Which just tells you the competition is keeping the
margins down on the kits.

-Kevin