Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Which would you choose?

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Here is a dummy setup for roughing out a curve concentric to a hole:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...75471032901730

Right. I see now.

I usually clamp the shaft horizontally in the bench vise with the end
protruding slightly and align the die parallel to the jaw end by eye.
A square end on the blocks would let you do the same. This is for
large coarse threads, for small ones I square the die with a drill
arbor or female center in the lathe's tailstock.

I have managed to screw up the treads this way all the way up to 1/4". Hence
the drill press.

Alignment would be easier in a drill press vise. Push the shaft toward
the jaw with the die and tighten just before it makes contact.

Once the die starts to bite you can control the whole assembly with
one hand, slide the shaft out a little to give the die some clearance,
and use the other hand to retighten the vise.

Or if you put the starting stub on the gnomon you can align it in the
drill press and then cut the full thread in clamp blocks.

Yes, once I got the beginning the rest is easy.

I have the Hrisoulas video but not the artistic ability. My best
effort has been compared to a prison shiv.

I relate to that.

The most useful watchmaking idea was the button / disk technique for
accurate hole layout on their manufacturing jigs. ...

Here is an example:

big snip

That one is beyond me..

I guess my 10-ft scarf is right out, then... :-)

Isadora Duncan

I do not dance as well...

--
Michael Koblic,