Phil

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

I used to buy whatever square was available in my local hardware store
(before HD.) About 10 years ago I bought a Starrett 18" square at a
pawn shop for all of $20. I was using it today and it is much easier to
read and set than the other "non-Starrett" squares. A couple of years
ago I sprung for Starrett's "Builder's Combination Tool." A hefty 24
inch square with an adjustable head.

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/...sp?GroupID=395

I find myself using this a lot and am impressed with how repeatable
angle settings are.

I don't think you can go wrong with Starrett.

Phil

Bob Davis wrote:
The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob