Bruce

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

In rec.woodworking
"K.-Benoit Evans" wrote:

In article . net,
"Bob Davis" wrote:

...So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!...

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the
low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between
the two extremes?

Look, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it isn't square. Pick a few
off the rack and take them down to the lumber aisle and check them on a
sheet of 4x8 MDF, which will be absolutely square. You really need to be
careful and eyeball them correctly, looking for ANY air gap at all. If it
is square when you buy it, it should remain square.