Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Wasteful Packaging

Bored Borg wrote:
Kreg Mini..

Kit is the jig, drill bit, stop collar.

Retail £14.95

replacement drill bit £15.99 (no collar)
replacement collar £2.99

Explain, please, someone?

Many of these situations can be explained by the fact that the cost of
the packaging materials and labor to make the package is worth more that
the item being packaged. I have gone through the local hardware store
and found many items where this is true.

One way to check the cost of packaging is to look at an items where the
package is essentially the same, and compare the cost of several sizes.
One example I found was the cork pads to put on chairs so they don't
damage the hardwood floors. You could buy packages of 4, 8, 12, and 16
piece. The cost was $2.20 $2.40 $2.60, and $2.80 projecting the cost
back through zero the cost of the packaging was about $2.00, and the
item was about a $0.05/piece.

If you look you can find many examples of this.