Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Boiler flues (Viessmann)

Ed Sirett coughed up some electrons that declared:

Modern boilers not only don't need air for the combustion (as it comes
from outside) but also they don't need any for appliance cooling.

Hi Ed,

If you're still around...

I've come across some conflicting information on flues (this case, balanced,
gas).

The Viessmann 100 Compact installation manual shows a flue lower than 2.1m
above ground and *next to a "walkway"* as being unacceptable.

However, Part J makes no mention of any distances from "walkways" and
neither do any other Viessmann documents.

I'm aware a flue must be guarded if people are likely to make contact with
it.

Is this a new thing, or have Viessmann made an error?

The horizontal flue will be coming out of a wall on the back of a little
annex on the back of the house. The roof is low and flat and the eves are
about 2.1m above ground. Flue needs to go lower than 2.1m to both meet the
200mm clearance below eaves rule and Viessmann's requirement that there be
300mm clearance above the boiler casing.

Technically, there's a path (private, in the garden) going by there,
although this could be tweaked.

Many thanks

Tim