Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

"Ron(UK)" wrote in
:

In your opinion maybe. Professionals in the sound industry use quality
replaceable batteries, they are reliable - reliability means
_everything_ when a show (or your job) is at stake.

Lame. I keep hearing this silly excuse. This is consumer high-street shop
level thinking. The whole audio industry is riddled with it. For decades dull
black boxes have been shifted with the letters PRO on them, regardless of how
tacky they are, never has an industry blown its trumpet so loudly.

Do they use alkalines in space? In oil drilling gear that has to go down deep
in the earth and stand vibrations? In pacemakers? In aircraft black boxes?
Ok, maybe they do, sometimes, but there are lot of battery technologies
reached for when mission critical reliability is needed, and I bet most
industries don't reach for alkalines. Oil wells reach for lithium thionyl
chloride, for example. If long life primaries with extreme reliability are
important to people who are so up themselves with their 'reputation' and
their expensive hours that are worth SO many batteries, why not buy those?

Instead of clinging to one aging method that is highly polluting, use some
imagination and explore what REAL professionals with mission critical
requirements are up to. Compared to those, the industry that makes such a
song and dance of putting microphones in front of delegates at conferences is
like the hairdressers and telephone sanitisers that Douglas Adams whimsically
crashlanded on some planet along with a captain with a penchant for bathtubs
and rubber ducks. While we need entertainment and communication to make
life worth living, people used to get by till very recently without having to
use so many mics to feel important or get themselves heard.

Get a grip. This thread has wound its way round this silly circle for too
long, and I should never have got into it myself, but I have, and this is my
parting shot. I'll read the flames if I have the patience, but I will try not
to get further involved.

I admit to using a few alkalines at times, but either where laziness is more
attractive than performance, or where nothing else fits yet. If I could
change all to Li-ion or lithium thionyl chloride types, I would.
Specifically, the only time I justify an alkaline is when I need a PP3 that
is ready to use, between long periods of disuse. For anything else, I find
another way.