Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wasteful Packaging

"Upscale" wrote:

I recently ordered a DeWalt D26453K random orbit sander, the one
with that
comes with the big, black, plastic case containing the sander and
absolutely
nothing else. Cost? $103.99. From the same company, I also priced
the D26453
sander without the case. Cost? $114.99. Explain that to me?

Pretty straight forward, theft and volume.

The oversize packaging helps to thwart retail theft, therefore
increased cost of packaging is offset by reduction in theft.

Since most of the sales are of product are with packaging, providing a
product for sale without packaging represents a special which
translates into lower volume, thus higher cost.

Higher sales price will also make the special "go away".

Lew