Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default What is that devide in my water supply line?

On Dec 21, 12:23*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 7:49*pm, terry wrote:

On Dec 20, 9:21*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

They read it remotely. In our area meter reader just drive by the house
to read it. I was told in the future it'll be read via sattelite.

About a year ago my city's utility office called me to say my water meter
had been running for over 24 consecutive hours, and that I should look for a
leak or other problem. It turned out that my toilet had been running, so
slowly that I couldn't hear it. How's that for service!

Basic question. The OP mentions that there is another shut off valve
in the incoming service not pictured.

If so why not shut off the water; remove the 'guts' of the valve on
the left (which looks like a standard multi turn shut-off of 20+ year
vintage; and take it along to a hardware/building supply store and buy
an exact replacement 'cartridge'. Probably around $5?
There are several shut offs wthin this house (now 38 years old) that
need similar replacement of their 'guts'. Here, it's mainly a matter
of getting around to doing it.Thanks for the reminder; I'll put it on
the list!
If total replacement of the valve on the left IS necessary strongly
recommend a quarter turn ball valve.

For two reasons. Because the other valve is downstream and because
they both don't shut of completely.

There should then be a "curb box" or "street shut off" that can be
turned off. You might need a special wrench to get at it. Where I
am, the bolt has a pentagon head, and then you would need a "street
key" to turn it off. Depending on your climate, that might be 5-8'
long. Not really the kind of thing you want to buy to use once. The
pentagon wrench and street key that I own cost around $50 for the
pair. Your local water utility might be willing to come out and turn
it off for you, then back on again once you are done repairing /
replacing the valves.

JK