Posted to alt.home.repair
Ernie Willson Ernie Willson is offline

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

I'd recommend the generator option but you must address several issues:

First you must isolate your electric system from other tenants in the
building, and from the local utility while you're generating. If you
don't do this the best case is that the generator will trip out from
overload. worse case, you will electrocute some poor lineman trying to
restore your service. Usually this isolation is done by installing a
transfer switch at your service inlet. This switch allows you to power
your house from the electric line or your generator, but not from both
at the same time.

List all the devices that you intend to power and find out how much
power they consume.

Develop a plan about how you will dispatch the devices. To size the
generator you need to decide which devices you need to run, and which
devices you will run at the same time. After you have done this you can
then size the generator based on the maximum load. For example if the
refrigerator and furnace (running at the same time) would overload the
generator you can shut one off while the other is running. By developing
a load management strategy you can get by with a much smaller generator.

Locate the generator in a well ventilated area outside your residence
where the exhaust and noise will not bother you or the neighbors.

Keep a reasonable amount of fuel on hand, in a safe place.

Locate fire suppression (extinguishers) equipment in an area that you
can get to if the fuel supply or the generator should catch fire.

Finally have the whole system inspected by a capable electrician before
you turn it on.

HTH
EJ in NJ

wrote:
I live in north Missouri where ice storms can readily
happen..... and knock power out

I also live alone and in rented duplex....so my needs
for power are smaller and require more portability than
others.

Having said that... I'm wondering if buying a small
Honda generator and 120 volt devices is better than say
getting jump start batteries and using them with 12volt
devices (lights, etc)