Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

Been a while since I measured the amp draw of my furnace. The old one was
five or six amps, less than I'd expected. Gas valve, and third horse blower.
Not all that much. I'd figure the refrig as higher load, with the start
current needs of the compressor.

If you can use kerosene safely, it puts out heat. Which is useful in the
winter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

1000 watts (8.3 amps) will run any refrigerator, freezer, but probably not a
furnace or boiler. Plenty of room for lighting, TV, cable box, computer,
and the like. If all you need is a reading light, batteries are OK. I have
a couple of kerosene lamps, but they can be a danger with pets or kids. In
my life, I've only ever had one power failure of any length, about 30 hours
after a hurricane. Given that record I've not justified a generator.