Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What is that devide in my water supply line?

Steve Barker wrote:
just fyi, using copper supply line for a ground does indeed meet code as
long as there's at least 15 feet of copper outside the foundation. In fact,
in our jurisdiction, that is 'all' that is required. All the lines in our
town are required to be copper from the house to the meter.

"Mark" wrote in message
Arron, You've had a lot of comments and suggestions already. Here is a
description of the parts in your picture. Starting from the left:

The valve - that is apparently what you are planning to replace. Any
reason? It doesn't appear to be leaking and seams fairly new. Is it a
case that it doesn't shut off completely?

Ground wire / clamp - In older homes (as mine is) they use to ground the
entire electric system to the cold water supply. Look for this: somewhere
near your electric panel is there a similar wire coming out of the panel
and connecting to a cold water pipe? If so, that is the main ground for
your electric. That's not code today, but may be "grandfathered" in as
long as you don't upgrade the electric which would require you bring it up
to code. Regardless, as another poster has mentioned, it is also necessary
to ground the plumbing system. It should connect on the other side of the
meter. It was mentioned that this was in case the meter was removed, but
it is also necessary in many cases, and yours looks to be one of them, the
meter is largely plastic and therefore doesn't provide an adequate ground.

The Blue cap - that is a tamper device intended to prevent you from
removing the meter, or more likely tell the water company that you might
have done so. Less scrupulous people will try anything to save a buck and
will pull the meter and put in a piece of pipe to get water for free.
Note that if you are planning to remove the meter to do your valve
replacement you may want to contact the water company. They will take a
reading, want to put a tamper device back on afterwards.

The meter - Yup! That's what tells the water company how much you use.
Lots of hi-tech comments on what the coiled wire is, but since your meter
looks pretty much like mine, I'd bet you simply have a remote outside
reader. Follow the wire up the wall to where it exits the house and
probably somewhere near there on the outside you will see a small meter.
The meter reader still walks the neighborhood, but only has to read the
dials on this outside meter to tell your usage. However, these have been
know to get out of sync with the inside meter, so it is a good idea to
check them both occasionally and make sure the numbers match. A neighbor
of mine had a case where theirs was way out of sync in the water company's
favor and they got a $300 water bill.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Sounds like your location might be pretty unique. The NEC has required
supplemental grounding electrodes for quite some time.