Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default What is that devide in my water supply line?

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:03:07 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:48:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 11:18 am, zxcvbob wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,
This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:
http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg
I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron
By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.
That big ugly thing is the water meter.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that's the device I meant.

If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know
how much water I am using?
What's the curly wire going to it?
Is it in good shape or should I replace it?
Hi,
They read it remotely. In our area meter reader just drive by the house
to read it. I was told in the future it'll be read via sattelite.
Likewise natural gas meter is done same way.

Doubtful. Sattelite uplinks are expensive.

Hi,
Why not? think meter reader is cheap? It is all readsy. Just a matter of
implementing the feature. Even car dealers use sattelite for engine
diagostics and parts logistics. One of area drug store chain use
sattelite links too.

It is the uplink that isn't cheap.

Where's your cite that car dealers and drug store chains use sattelite uplinks?