Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Rusling Jim Rusling is offline

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

wrote:

I live in north Missouri where ice storms can readily
happen..... and knock power out

I also live alone and in rented duplex....so my needs
for power are smaller and require more portability than
others.

Having said that... I'm wondering if buying a small
Honda generator and 120 volt devices is better than say
getting jump start batteries and using them with 12volt
devices (lights, etc)

In addition to what the others have said, forget about the jump start
batteries. I use deep discharge batteries, like trolling motor
batteries, along with an inverter. With a properly sized inverter it
will handle compact florescence lights without any problem. An
inverter big enough for the fridge will run one battery down pretty
quick. Be sure and get a good intelligent battery charger and top the
batteries off every month or so.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired