Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default What is that devide in my water supply line?

Joe wrote:
On Dec 20, 9:57 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing
valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area
looks like:

http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg

I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly
devide in middle for and can I cut it out?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

There might be a major problem in that installation. The 'device' is a
water meter. Leave it alone. The #4 or whatever, solid copper wire
probably goes to an external ground rod, or should. However, meter
installations are almost always required to have a braided #4 copper
bypass around the water meter to keep the house plumbing grounded if
the meter is removed for service. I don't see anything like that in
your photo. Given your situation, I would buy the clamps and wire and
install it before any electrical inspection might occur. This is code
required almost universally.

Joe

I would leave it alone. But there is enough slack in that solid ground
wire to clamp it to the water line on the other side of the meter (leave
the existing connection alone, and do not cut that wire)

Bob