Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Adding Outlet to Gas Range

On Dec 20, 10:37*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My old gas range had a duplex outlet mounted in the upper frame. There
is no accessible outlet near the range and I used the range outlet for
my slow cooker, bread machine etc. It kept the machines off the main
counter as they spent the long hours needed to do their jobs.

My current range does not have this feature.

I'm pretty sure that I can find room in the upper panel of my range to
mount an outlet, but I'm wondering about the "compliancy" of doing
this. I would tap into the AC wiring where it enters the range and run
the wires up to the panel along side the existing wiring harness.

Before you ask: The wall behind the range contains the ductwork for
the second floor. There is no convenient place to put an outlet. The
only open stud-space is either behind the range or behind the fridge.
The area behind the small counter next the range is full.

What are your thoughts on adding an outlet to the range?

Can be done, but you may need *a high temperature wire.

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a surface run
with product such as Wiremold that is made for your situation.

Second the motion on Wiremold. The product is used everywhere to make
tidy electrical installations, but seldom in homes. For the modest
price, it saves so much aggravation that it should be part of every
DIY skill set. If your box store doesn't have all the trick Wiremold
fittings you want look over the stock at a good distributor store.
They will have extra long Wiremold conduit and other problem solvers.

Joe