Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:44:03 -0000, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

BobW wrote:
Do you have any info that indicates that they can't put out as much current
and/or have higher internal resistance (over time) compared with alkalines?

Sorry, I said two different things in the same paragraph and may have created
some confusion.

First the slow self-discharge rechargable batteries have a higher internal
resistance and lower output current than the "regular" ones of the same
chemistry.

Therefore "slow" NiMH batteries have a higher internal resistance, lower
output current and longer recharge times than regual NiMH batteries.

Then how come I charge them in 15 minutes in a Uniross rapid charger?

"Slow" alkeline batteries have a higher internal resistance, lower
output current and longer recharge times than regular alkeline batteries.

What are slow alkaline batteries? No alkalines self discharge, so why ake slow ones?

I mentioned the alkeline ones as their high internal resistance was a
deal killer for me. I could not use on HT's (handheld radios). They worked
fine with 1 watt output (low power), but on high power (3-4 watts), they
failed.

Going back to the NiMH batteries, I can't say how well they will hold up
over time. I only use them on MP3 players that take a single AAA battery.
So far it has not been good, the first batch to almost 10 cycles to
have any usefull capacity. It may also have been my fault, because I
charged them with the included charger which needed 24 hours or more
to charge them.

The second batch has been charged only with a higher current charger and
they seem fine.

I once got a large batch of dud NiMHs. They were non-slow Uniross batteries. They functioned normally for about 3 weeks with a few charges, then started self discharging so rapidly I couldn't leave them on a shelf for 2 days!

Note that the players are low current devices, they discharge at about a
rate of 100ma or less.

I have been using the Hybrio hybrid batteries in a Canon SX100IS digital
camera for about a year now and I haven't noticed anything problematic about
them. They last a LONG time without any special conditioning. I use a Maha
MH-C401FS charger (set to 'slow').

I've used alkalines in several different cameras and have had horrible
results with them.

All alkelines have a higher internal resistance, which is probably why you
have the problem with them. If you are a camera buff, that was one of the
two differences between the Canon T-90 and EOS-1. The T-90 used AA batteries,
the EOS used lithium. Canon was unable to get the current they needed for
all of the electronics in the camera from AA batteries.

There are Lithium AAs.

When is it ok for a man to hug another man?
A. If he's your father and at least one of you has a fatal disease.
B. If you're performing the Heimlich maneuver.
C. If you're a professional baseball player and a teammate hits a home run to win the World Series, you may hug him provided that:
(1) He is legally within the base path
(2) Both of you are wearing sufficient protection, and
(3) You also pound him fraternally with your fist hard enough to cause fractures.