Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Welcome to the world of paramentric design.

In my real job I am in the 3D CAD business. Parametric design was a
revolution for this industry 20 years ago. With complete parametrics
you can embed an amazing amount of intelligence into one base design.
They can be linked to spreadsheets, can hide and multiple parts and
features, matain ratios or more complex rules, nest one design inside
anothjer and drive changes up through the design; very cool stuff.

This was initially only available in the $20-$50k type software. The
second revolution was the "desktop" or "mid-range" solid modelers in
the $2-$8k proce range. Now I guess R3 is in Sketchup. Too cool.

I think pretty soon the $2-$8k guys are going to have a hard time
seeling their stuff when their only real differentiation is being
harder to use. ;^)

Well said ...

Having somehow missed out on the designer gene, 3D software, along with
e-books, has been one of my two biggest dreams for years.

Things I've designed in the past looked great in 2D software, and on the
shop bench, but put them on the floor, or a wall, and view them from
different perspectives, and I've often been disappointed in many respects.

For the first time ever I've been able to get my ideas down in 3D and view
them from those perspectives which my lousy design skills can't foresee, at
a reasonable cost, and without spending money and time on a steep learning
curve.

I'm also making money using the program, a good deal of money, and it amazes
me how little effort it took to garner that type of reward.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08