Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Which would you choose?

On Dec 20, 2:35*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
A well-worn old industrial lathe.....

I have been ready for some time :-)
I monitor Craig's List daily within a reasonable radius - transport of such
equipment could also become an issue as well as all those others you
mention. ...

A flat-bed auto wrecker works pretty well. The dealer I bought my
lathe from is an industrial rigger and that's what he delivered it on,
tied down securely. He slid it down the bed into my garage, just
inside the door, and it has stayed there. Doesn't matter, the old car
behind it on jackstands isn't going anywhere.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to go to Vancouver recently.... I
will also be able to drop into some important shops.
Michael Koblic,

If you buy old machines it's very helpful to know all the second-hand
dealers in your area. I've figured out mileage-efficient loops to
visit them a few times a year, or whenever I have business in that
area. I keep some cardboard and rubber-backed rugs in the CRV to
protect its interior from greasy old machine parts, and installed the
optional rear child seat tiedowns in the roof. That particular vehicle
has a somewhat fragile plastic folding table over the spare tire well
(which is a storage tub for wet stuff, ie the kitchen sink) so I
covered the hatch area floor with plywood.

Try to find an old Starrett or Brown & Sharpe catalog so you'll know
what all those mysterious old gadgets are and how they can solve your
problems. With CAD/CAM and DROs the old layout and measuring tools are
obsolete, except for home shops.

Jim Wilkins