Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default SketchUp7 users -"Dynamic" Kitchen Cabinet Face Frame components

On Dec 19, 8:21*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

At the risk of sounding a bit snobbish, Sketch-Up is a fun entry-level
product which hopefully will entice the curious into trying real CAD
software.

Don't look now, Rob, but your lack familiarity with the program is showing
... SketchUp has always been upfront about NOT being "CAD software". *

I am the first to agree that I have yet to delve into all of the host
of features that SketchUp offers.
I , frankly, haven't had the need. So your assesment of my lack of
familiarity is sound. Somewhat.
And yet, my grandmother's wisdom haunts me: "I don't know how to lay
eggs, but I sure know when one shouldn't be eaten."
I am still somewhat curious how someone, like yourself, who has shown
a solid working knowledge of other software has bolted onto the
SketchUp product.
This is not a critique, but a question. You were a TurboCAD user at
one time, were'nt you? Why the change?
I have never been one to stay with a system/software 'just because'.
If that were true, wtf am I married 3 times? I am willing to change
and learn. I just don't see SketchUp as a path to growth, unlike
TurboCAD which ate least teaches CAD-style conventions.

Am I way off here?

snip

*Any tool is only as good as the craftsman who wields it ... it is always a
mistake to sell something short on the basis of cursory knowledge.

I agree, but why change a horse in the middle of a stream? There must
be real advantage to adopting SketchUp over Turbo. If there is, I
don't see it.
And when it comes to wielding tools in the CAD and 3D modelling world,
I hold my own quite well. SketchUp leaves me wanting more. Like NURBs.
Like extrusions along rails. Like sweeps along bezier paths. Skinning
and a full set of Bolean functions and a full set of rendering tools.
And after all that, a true export ability that all programs can
understand and parse. And don't get me started on infinite lighting
sources and radiosity. Textures in all their photo-realistic glory.

SketchUp has never made claims to fit my bill. They don't. But if
you're going to learn conventions, they should be cross-platform, and
adhere to some standard which is transportable.

Honestly, dude... nothing personal.