Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Which would you choose?

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I believe you're ready for this suggestion now:

A well-worn old industrial lathe just might do everything you need, if
you can find a working one cheap enough. For example:
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/941489353.html

They aren't worth much if the bed is badly worn or a valuable feature
like threading doesn't work, but you don't seem to need high precision
or custom threads.

A leather belt drive, threaded spindle and single phase motor decrease
it's usefulness for a business but not so much for a home shop.

A problem is finding a cheap one that isn't hopelessly gonzo unless
you buy three $500 factory repair parts. That can be an issue with
South Bend, for instance. Mine has several non-standard and home made
replacement parts, some hacked out by the trade school students who
(ab)used it before me.

I think you've rehearsed your spiel on us enough to recite it in
machinists' terms to the seller, who hopefully understands the lathe's
condition and would know if it would serve your needs.

I have been ready for some time :-)
I monitor Craig's List daily within a reasonable radius - transport of such
equipment could also become an issue as well as all those others you
mention. I also monitor the local auction weekly. So far things have not
panned out. Small community and all that.
I have printed out a copy of an excellent treatise on assessing a
second-hand lathe which I propose to memorize next time I go to inspect one.
Meanwhile, however, I am trying to keep my eyes and mind open for all sorts
of options.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to go to Vancouver recently. If and
when I finally get to go, I shall do some homework on their Craig's list. I
will also be able to drop into some important shops. If nothing else I
should be able to handle things there.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC