Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Old jug element makes good dummy load?

My old $10 electric jug finally failed due to arcing at the mains
socket. However the 2200W 240V heating element is still serviceable.
It occurred to me that it may be useful as a dummy load. Some
searching revealed that others have had the same idea.

My own element has a resistance of 27R to 28R which I suppose could be
used as a 1A load on a 24V supply. In the USA, a 120V 1500W element
would have a resistance of 9.6 ohms which may be close enough for
testing audio amplifiers. You wouldn't need to dismantle two working
jugs. Instead you could chop off the mains plug and connect the bare
wires to the amp's speaker terminals, or you could make an adapter
using a mains socket and a short length of cord. The dummy load would
be water cooled, and you could have a cup of coffee when you finished
testing. :-)

This was my 4th attempt at posting this message. Astraweb appears to
have some kind of filter bot in place.

- Franc Zabkar