Bill Rittner

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

The Starrett is a tool that will last for several lifetimes if cared for. I
have one that is at least 50 years old and I use it daily. Having owned some
cheap "squares" I can tell you to check them carefully and often. They
usually are not square.

To check a square hold it to the edge of a straight board and scribe a line,
then flip the square over and, using the same edge, check the line you
scribed. The tool is out of square by 1/2 the amount of error you see.

--
Bill Rittner
R & B ENTERPRISES

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody
gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
news
The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for
carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the

cost.
My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I
need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each.
I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have
brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells
for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for
me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just

famous brand name.

Bob