Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Which would you choose?

On 2008-12-17, Michael Koblic wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Get the metalworking version, and the accessories to add
woodworking capabilities. The price difference between the two
compared to the cost of the cross-slide alone says this -- *if* you
want the Taig.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances the wood-working part has been
post-poned indefinitely.

Oh!

I guess that is the question: Do I want the Taig? It seemed like the only
way to start turning something for under $400.

The question is -- do you want to be able to cut threads? If
not, then it could certainly do what you need for small things. (How
big a circle do you need to handle to make your solar powered
hourglasses. :-)

Another thing about the Taig is that the longitudinal finish
will be purely dependent on the smoothness of your turning the crank on
the carriage. There is no power feed -- in either direction.

I don't see the three-jaw chuck with the soft jaws which used to
be part of the setup.

I had a look at the Taig web site and their combo's are different from the
Lee Valley. E.g. two out of three did not include the tailstock!

O.K. It all depends on how much you plan to turn things which
are about four times longer than their diameter. For that (or longer)
you will need the tailstock.

You'll also find it very useful for drilling the initial central
hole before boring it to larger diameters. IIRC, the tailstock chuck
will hold 1/2" drill bits -- but the motor may have a bit of struggle
doing it all in a single pass in steel.

There is no *list* of what threads it cuts, so we don't know
whether any particularly useful ones are left out.

I would like to see a much more detailed list of what it has and
what it will do.

See, this is the sort of thing I would not know to look for...

This is the sort of reason why people suggest that you sign up
for a metalworking class at a nearby school (if one is available) so you
will learn what to expect from the tools. This will also give you
access to larger tools for some of your own projects.

The nearest mini is $200 more. Why, oh why, the short distance
between centres?

About the same as the Taig, FWIW.

Yes. Initially I rejected the Craftex out of hand because of it but as the
prices came closer I re-considered.

It is just another exercise in looking at various options.

Of course, my own preference is for larger old machines, but then
I know how to check them out and how to repair them if needed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564