Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Which would you choose?

Yes, the 3MT collets that fit your mill will also fit the mini lathe MT3
spindles.
The length of the spindles will probably be different, so you will probably
need to make a different drawbar for a mini lathe spindle. Fortunately, the
drawbar is fairly simple to make with all-thread rod, just pick up a piece
of it that matches the thread in your collets, and a couple of nuts.

Instead of just using a washer on the left end of the mini lathe spindle,
you might want to consider a stepped bushing to keep the drawbar (threaded
rod) centered while tightening the nut (the bushing is easily made on the
lathe with just a chuck for workholding).

An example of the bushing can be seen in the lower half of this page
http://www.kwagmire.com/shop/lathe/9...cessories.html

You see now, it gets easier when you start buying more machines.. there are
numerous pieces that will be of use on the next machine!
Like those wrenches and hex/allen wrenches.

I'm considering getting the 3C adapters since the 7x12 spindle is the same
as my 9x20 spindle (well, the length is probably different), even though I
have a set of MT3 collets.
I don't particularly like thumping the drawbar to release MT collets, even
though these aren't ultra-high precision machines, hammer hits are delivered
to the bearings.
The additional bonus is that stock can pass thru the 3C collets, so the
depth of the workpiece in the collet isn't limited, like with the Morse
collets.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
Something I discovered while looking at minilathe accessories is that
a MT3 to 3C adapter and drawtubes are available for using 3C collets
with the 7x models instead of using Morse Taper 3 collets.
These adapters are for use in any machine that has a MT3 spindle with
a 3/4" (.750") thru hole. This includes 7x models, South Bend and the
9x20 series lathes.
The 3C collets are self-releasing, so they don't need to be
driven/tapped out like the locking MT collets do.
Additionally, the 3C collets allow the material to pass thru the
collet, which MT collets don't. This allows longer lengths of
material to be fed thru the headstock.

OTOH am I correct to assume that I could use my MT3 collet set from my
mini-mill?