Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Which would you choose?

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Get the metalworking version, and the accessories to add
woodworking capabilities. The price difference between the two
compared to the cost of the cross-slide alone says this -- *if* you
want the Taig.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances the wood-working part has been
post-poned indefinitely.
I guess that is the question: Do I want the Taig? It seemed like the only
way to start turning something for under $400.

I don't see the three-jaw chuck with the soft jaws which used to
be part of the setup.

I had a look at the Taig web site and their combo's are different from the
Lee Valley. E.g. two out of three did not include the tailstock!

There is no *list* of what threads it cuts, so we don't know
whether any particularly useful ones are left out.

I would like to see a much more detailed list of what it has and
what it will do.

See, this is the sort of thing I would not know to look for...

The nearest mini is $200 more. Why, oh why, the short distance
between centres?

About the same as the Taig, FWIW.

Yes. Initially I rejected the Craftex out of hand because of it but as the
prices came closer I re-considered.

It is just another exercise in looking at various options.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC