Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Midge Midge is offline

Default Security post

Oddly enough, I did read the original posting (Phil) and I've just read it
again, and my question still stands. What are we trying to deter here? (the
original posting does not make this clear). That will surely dictate the
effectiveness of the solution i.e.

If we're trying to stop an older insecure car from being nicked, I'd be
spending the money on the car as you can't take your post with you to the
shops.

If its a modern car with approriate immobilsation/deadlocks it will be
reasonably secure anyway unless your daft enough to leave the keys in, or
easily accessible.

If we're looking at a car that is modern AND desirable enough to be worth
the extra effort and time stealing, the sort of people who will go after it
will go after it, and a daft little parking post aint gonna make any
difference.

If we're not talking a car (maybe a caravan or boat?), then again, a parking
post is useless as the vehicle used to tow it away will be nicked, and other
methods should be considered such as wheel clamps, chaining to ground
anchors etc.

We may be looking to deter someone from reversing a nicked van up your drive
so they can do your house over and conveniently load all your stuff in.
Parking post pretty useless for that too as the thieves will likely have
targeted your house because of other reasons/security weaknesses.

And finally, we could be talking about the ONLY situation where this
solution is likely to be effective - and that is deterring people from using
your drive when they shouldn't, such as turning around etc. My second point
also still stands - you might fall foul of your own deterent and a gate
would be better.

Midge

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
Midge wrote:
What exactly are we trying to deter here?

I can't help thinking that if I stuck a post at the end of MY drive,
I'm probably going to be the one who hits it sooner or later! If
you're going to the extent of concreting something in, why not a
gatepost/gate?
Just a thought....

Midge.

"Phil L" wrote in message
John wrote:
A friend has asked me to install a security post at the end of his
driveway, the sort that lay down flat and lock. The problem is his
drve is block paving right up to the tarmac footpath apart from a
drainage channel. I have explained to him that the pavers are only
a few inches thick and that the post will act as a very good lever
if somebody wanted to remove it (and the pavers it will be bolted
to)!! He says it is only really as a visual deterrent. My question
is are pavers hard to drill and will they split under the pressure
from a rawlbolt. The post has come with a tube of No Nonsense
Injection Resin and four 12mm x 100mm self cutting bolts. I
presume the resin will be a waste of time in this application and
that the bolts are too long, would this type of bolt (but shorter) be
better than a
Rawlbolt. How thick are pavers 2 1/2" or so?

The pavers are either 50mm or 60mm and neither are any use at all for
bolting things to - your friend may think it will be OK and act as a
visual deterrent but it won't - it won't last 5 minutes, the first
time someone brushes against it, it will be gone, given that the
pavers are really just bricks sat on a bed of sand.

To install it properly, you'll need to take up a few pavers and
concrete a patch about a foot deep and six inches square, the
easiest way to do this is to cut out the shape of the hole with a
grinder, so that the BP pattern isn't ruined, and concrete the hole
to the top of the pavers, leave for a week or so, then use the resin
and bolts as normal. for added strength, prior to casting the concrete,
knock a few
pieces of steel into the sides of the hole and leave protruding into
the void to be filled.

He's not concreting anything in, he's putting down a block of concrete, to
which a security post is attached, these posts can be easily lifted off by
the owner, via a key, or laid flat for driving over and then erected
again, to prevent their own car from being removed from the drive....if
you'd read the OP you would already know this

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008