Ron Magen

Default Glue vs. No Glue

I am in the process of completing two more Mahogany, Veteran's Flag Cases. I
am using some Marine Bronze screws as combined fasteners and decorative
accents.

Due to the 'proper' size of the screw heads, they are #6 x 1 inch.
Therefore, I pre-drill and 'chamfer' holes on the mating faces. Then
carefully 'paint' TiteBond II on the 'inner' edges of the face frame mating
surfaces . . . Whatever tiny bits of squeeze-out that occurs, are easily
removed with a scraper before sanding, filling, and varnishing.

It really doesn't seem like that much more work; just part of the normal
requirement for a the type of quality you want associated with YOUR name.
Most of it is simply exhibiting patience while the glue dries over night.

Either way, the time to properly lay on 6 coats of varnish {with a 24-hour
'cure' period between coats}, will take more actual *time* than the entire
building process !!

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop