Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Security post

AJH coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can't help thinking that if I stuck a post at the end of MY drive, I'm
probably going to be the one who hits it sooner or later! *If you're
going to the extent of concreting something in, why not a gatepost/gate?

I agree, it sounds like a good idea if you've got an expensive and
attractive vehicle to protect, but I would want some kind of failsafe
warning device I think particularly if I had to reverse on dark early
mornings/evening in the wet etc! A bit of a drag having to keep
putting it up & down as well. If it's only a visual deterrent then
maybe it's better to rely on a good car alarm for day time, plus
security lighting for night time? Or how about elec gates!

Unless the post is virtually a girder, I can't see it being much of a
deterrent for theft. Joyriders and criminals who just need a one use
getaway vehicle will probably just squidge the post and accept the
consequential bumper damage.

The main use I've seen such posts put to is to preserve a parking space.

Then again, if the customer wants a post, then it's a job - no need to
argue.

Cheers

Tim