Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default I strained my back - OUCH

Norminn wrote in
m:

clipped

I did end up going to a neurosurgeon. She says no surgery without full
test results. Had X-rays, tests, CT scan (or something like it), etc.,
etc. Went back for results and plan consultation.

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ
so you can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for
woman but nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then
what? She has a skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat
raised. Says to me "You and I have the same problem." Whacks her thigh
and says, "I got a fat ass and I gotta live with it. You got a bad
back and gotta live with it." I says lady your alright in my book for
not dancing around things. At least now I have some concrete
direction.

You can probably pick any diagnosis you wish to from a medical text
and be able to find a surgeon who
will perform surgery for it. Unfortunately, back surgery (along with
tonsillectomies, hysterectomies, etc.)
were once done far too often. When I last worked, 12 years ago, many
surgeons would not even discuss
disc surgery (unless certain neuropathy was present) without a course
of physical therapy. Lots of
studies show that far too many disc surgeries not only did not improve
pain or function but caused it to
worsen. Obesity and lack of conditioning have a great deal to do with
back problems and surgery
outcomes.

Last I paid attention, about 30% of live births were by c-section.
Criminal. Often done just for
convenience.

Obesity and lack of conditioning have a great deal to do with
back problems and surgery
outcomes.

Well I just bust my ass doing these houses with a lot of physical stuff.
It's when I don't do this kind of stuff that I'm more likely to have
issues and I haven't had any issues in years. So I guess that's
conditioning. As far as obesity, I had 1/3 of my body in a 12" kitchen
cabinet yesterday and got out without dialing 911.