Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default I strained my back - OUCH

clipped

I did end up going to a neurosurgeon. She says no surgery without full test
results. Had X-rays, tests, CT scan (or something like it), etc., etc.
Went back for results and plan consultation.

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ so you
can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for woman but
nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then what? She has a
skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat raised. Says to me
"You and I have the same problem." Whacks her thigh and says, "I got a fat
ass and I gotta live with it. You got a bad back and gotta live with it." I
says lady your alright in my book for not dancing around things. At least
now I have some concrete direction.

You can probably pick any diagnosis you wish to from a medical text and
be able to find a surgeon who
will perform surgery for it. Unfortunately, back surgery (along with
tonsillectomies, hysterectomies, etc.)
were once done far too often. When I last worked, 12 years ago, many
surgeons would not even discuss
disc surgery (unless certain neuropathy was present) without a course of
physical therapy. Lots of
studies show that far too many disc surgeries not only did not improve
pain or function but caused it to
worsen. Obesity and lack of conditioning have a great deal to do with
back problems and surgery
outcomes.

Last I paid attention, about 30% of live births were by c-section.
Criminal. Often done just for
convenience.